A-LIFE – Healthy Living WorkshopCarlton Road
On the 23rd & 24th November we had a visit by a company called A-life who are a leading provider of Healthy Living Workshops, Fun Fitness. A-life bring the curriculum to life with hands-on activities that are accessible for all ages and abilities.
Each year group had two slots throughout the day for their Healthy Workshop and fitness Session.
The children were first briefed about what they would be doing and then split into small groups.
The activities Included:
· Piecing together the human body, exploring the function of each organ
· Using puzzles to explore different fruits and vegetables and getting 5 a day
· Exploring how many grams of sugar and salt are in some favourite drinks and snacks
· Watching a short DVD to discover new ways of keeping fit and active
· Playing different games that show where food comes from, how food grows and foods from around the world
· Using maths to shop to a budget
· Putting on a fat belt and work out how heavy it is
· Investigating the nutritional values of different foods
· Using life-like foods to discover what a balanced diet is all about
· Simulating the effects of drinking too much alcohol, testing its effect on our balance and ability to walk (Year 5 upwards. Always supervised by an adult.)
· Following directions around a map to different takeaways
· Checking out their tooth brushing technique and see how their personal hygiene is
· Finding out how much sleep they need and whether they are getting it
· Sorting household items into ‘safe’ and ‘unsafe’ bins
During these activities was able to develop life skills as well these were
· Working in a team
· Following instructions
· Independent work
· Sharing resources
· Learning new facts
· Boosting self-esteem
· Understanding how the children’s bodies works
After lunch the children returned for their fitness session designed to give them a full body workout combined with key messages about keeping healthy.
KS1 fitness session included
· well-paced 30 minutes of active play jungle trails
· Olympic activities
· short games
· combining fitness with numeracy and healthy living facts in a very active and thoroughly enjoyable session
This session was cleverly choreographed to incorporate bending, jumping, spinning, running, hopping, skipping and even lunging!
KS2 fitness session included:
· 45 minute circuit fitness session using a mixture of specialist equipment to challenge children’s strength,
· Coordination in a fun, but controlled environment.
The session exposed the children to new forms of exercise with circuits including boxing, trampolining, push-up hockey, the balance challenge, the gym zone and more. Set to a backdrop of energising music, children were motivated even more to push themselves to their limits and come out revitalised and smiley faced!